Get Your License!


FRN numbers are now required before taking the test. We can no longer accept Social Security numbers. Please register with the FCC at to get your FRN. It only takes a few minutes.

So you want to become a Ham?  Great!  The next question is “How?”

Classes – We offer FREE classes for anyone who wants to attend.  Contact Bryan Leavitt, WØBCL,  for more information.  Watch the main page for class dates and locations.

Testing – We offer regular Volunteer Examiner (VE) testing every month.

Testing is held at 6:30 PM on the first Thursday of the month. Please take a look at the calendar to confirm the VE test dates.

The cost of testing is $15. A picture ID, or two IDs without pictures, is required. If you are trying for an upgrade, please bring your original license and a copy that we can send in with the paperwork. If you just recently passed the Technician exam or upgraded and have yet to receive your license or have not seen the license posted on the FCC Website, please bring a copy of your CSCE that we can send in with the paperwork. Bring your FCC Registration Number (FRN) with you. If you don’t have one, please register with the FCC and get one. It only takes a few minutes. The FRN is required on all recent FCC licenses and applications, not just on our Amateur licenses.

As the default, the FCC no longer mails a paper license, but it does send out an email so you can print a paper license. So, that makes it very important to provide a legible email address on the Form ULS License Manager, but an email address is somewhat easier. You can also reset the FCC’s ULS default so that the FCC will provide official authorizations on paper. Go to: to get started with the ULS License Manager.

There is a $35 fee, paid to the FCC, for new licenses, vanities, and renewals. There is no fee for upgrades. For new licenses, this is paid after successfully testing and before the license is issued. The FCC will send the invoice via email.

Expired License? – The FCC has made it possible for a Ham to receive his or her old class license, if it has expired more than two years ago, without taking the General or Extra exam. You must attend a VE Session, pay the current exam fee ($15), and have at least a Technician Class license to qualify for the General or Amateur Extra upgrade that you used to have. If you don’t have a current Technician license, you must pass the Technician exam at a VE Session to be upgraded to your old license.

You must provide the proof that you originally had the General, Advanced, or Extra license and provide a copy of the proof for the team to turn in with the Form 605. The license will be a “new” issue, so you will receive a sequential call sign, not your original call sign. Since the Advanced Class is no longer issued, a General Class license will be issued for the expired Advanced. The Novice Class is no longer available unless it expired within the last two years. If your license is within the two-year grace period, you can simply renew your license through the FCC. And, of course, the original call sign will be maintained and the Advanced and Novice Class licenses can be renewed.

Information – We have a page on this Web site called Links.  There you can find several resources that can provide information on equipment, rules and regulations, and more.

Meetings – The Lincoln Amateur Radio Club hosts a monthly meeting at 7:30 PM on the second Wednesday of each month.  Meetings are at the LARC Clubhouse (4420 NW 41st St., Lincoln), do watch the home page for updates.  This is an excellent way to meet local Hams, be able to ask questions and get started on the road toward your license.  The Club is the best resource to become a successful operator, and everyone is welcome to attend the meetings.